Tampa, FL asked in Family Law, Child Custody and Child Support for Florida

Q: Do I have to fill out the mom's section of income in a child visitation/support case?

She refuses to let me see my son so I am taking her to court for visitation. I have a the packet mostly filled out but the section about her income and my income is confusing. I don't know if I fill out her income or if she does once she is served. She is now married and doesn't work. Her husband is the only one who currently works. Any help is appreciated!

1 Lawyer Answer
Sabina Tomshinsky
Sabina Tomshinsky
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Gainesville, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: It appears from your post that you are referring to a financial affidavit in a paternity action. When you file your action for paternity with the financial affidavit, that financial affidavit should reflect your monthly financial snapshot - it should contain your income and such. When the mother is served with this action, she will also have to complete her own financial affidavit. If the mother does not work, at the very least minimum wage would be imputed to her for child support calculation purposes. All the best.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.