Plano, TX asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Texas

Q: If my son refuses to go to his father's house for visitation, what are the ramifications, if any?

My exhusband and I have 3 children and have been divorced 9 years. Recently, my ex got remarried and moved back to our town and is taking more of his visitation time that he's allocated in our extended standard decree. Over the past couple of years, the relationship between him and my 13 year old son has been deteriorating. I put my son in counseling with his father's permission, but after 2 sessions, my ex refused to allow him to go to counseling. Over the past 3-4 months, their relationship has gotten worse, especially in the past 8 weeks. My son has tried talking to his dad about the issues and I have tried communicating with my ex to try to help the problem. The situation for my son is out of control emotionally. He's afraid of his father and doesn't trust him. My son has told me and now his father that he wants to take a break from visitation with him right now. His dad says he has no choice and has to go. I understand I can't make my child stay or go.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Robert W. Leonard Jr.
Robert W. Leonard Jr.
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Fort Worth, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: You are obligated to honor the court order to deliver your child to the other parent in accordance with the possession schedule. If you are concerned about your child's immediate safety, then call 911 right away. If your child is not in danger, then contact a local family law attorney who can review your order and all of the facts and let you know what your options are.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.