Mount Pleasant, SC asked in Employment Law and Education Law for South Carolina

Q: As a teacher, can I sue my school district if I believe they are not providing a safe environment for myself or students

Am currently employed by Charleston County School District. This is my third year teaching and the second year I have worked for CCSD. The 2016-2017 school year has brought tremendous emotional distress into my work, family, and personal life. The students at the school this year have been aggressive towards myself and other teachers and have made it near impossible to do my job in some classes.

I was not offered a contract for the upcoming '17-'18 school year, and I believe both my school and the county are responsible for this. There are students that threatened me personally, others that have fought multiple times and have not been removed from classes or placed in alternative schools. Some students curse out teachers regularly and make my job a hostile work environment. The worst part is that my school will do nothing to remove these disruptive students. I have written countless student referrals and none of them have been processed this year. Violence and profanity are common.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Jeremy R. Summerlin
Jeremy R. Summerlin
  • Greenville, SC
  • Licensed in South Carolina

A: This is not a private forum, so your question is now available to your current employer. I suggest you delete this question, if possible, and schedule a consult with a local employment lawyer.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.