Moody, AL asked in Child Support for Alabama

Q: My husband is paying 400 monthly on child support we have a baby due in August is there any way to have it reduced

I was told we may could file to have it reduced since we are having a child in August and simply can't afford the 400 towards the child support for the ex wife/daughter

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Niki Blumentritt Pierce
Niki Blumentritt Pierce
  • Dothan
  • Licensed in Alabama

A: You will need to consult with a family law attorney in your area. However, the only way to potentially reduce child support due to another child is to have a pre-existing child support order on the other child. Since your child has not been born nor do you have a pre-existing child support order, the child support to the ex-wife/daughter will not be reduced.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.