Graham, NC asked in Legal Malpractice, Construction Law and Contracts for North Carolina

Q: My lawyer did not claim damages ($97,000) that I had asked him to claim. I had a vacation rental that I was unable to

Rent out for 2 years because a person put a lien on the home. He did construction work that did not pass code and he refused to bring up to code so I didn't pay him. I couldn't rent the home for 2 yrs. My lawyer claimed neglect not loss of income so judge wouldn't allow financial info. brought in. The judge will be making his ruling june 14th. Can my lawyer do anything before then, if not, what can I do because of his mistake.

1 Lawyer Answer
Will Blackton
Will Blackton
  • Raleigh, NC
  • Licensed in North Carolina

A: Your lawyer is in the best position to determine what claims should be raised in a pleading. You should talk with your lawyer and ask if he mistakenly omitted a claim, or determined, in his professional opinion, that a claim should be omitted.

To answer your question: ask your lawyer if this was, in fact, a mistake, and if anything can be done to fix it if it is a mistake.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.