Indianapolis, IN asked in Family Law, Domestic Violence, Internet Law and Military Law for Indiana

Q: My older brother's girlfriend sent me a message to kill myself. Do i report her to the police?

I made a visit to my brother and grandmother and she threatened me the first time because my nephew was their. I have rarely and even so never really talk to her. Now she has used a different account from a friend of hers, on facebook after i blocked, to message and tell me to kill myself. I dont understand the indiana rules. Should i report or deal with the harassment? Being a army reserve if I have to protect myself will I get in major trouble if she tries to fight me?

1 Lawyer Answer
Robert Donald Gifford II
Robert Donald Gifford II
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Oklahoma City, OK

A: It is recommended you make a police report to document what has happened and what has continued to occur. You may want to consider getting a protective order to stop the harassment. I would inform your chain of command in your reserve unit in the event it becomes an issue, and provide a copy of the police report.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.