Ask a Question

Get free answers to your Military Law legal questions from lawyers in your area.

Lawyers, increase your visibility by answering questions and getting points. Answer Questions
Indiana Military Law Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Adoption, Family Law and Military Law for Indiana on
Q: What has to be done to get out of a military contract prior to going to naval academy.

My brother in-law just turned 18 and is about to go to naval academy. The thing is he never wanted to be in the military. Both he and my wife lived in an abusive adopted household and he was forced to enlist. He only just turned 18 and finally moved out, he is willing to do all most anything, even... View More

John Mario Acosta Jr.
John Mario Acosta Jr.
answered on Aug 1, 2019

Based on the information provided in your question he would have to contact the school if he is to attend college, if he has an enlistment contract he would have to talk to the recruiter who signed him up to try and void it. If her can't by the time he is supposed to leave I would advise him... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Military Law for Indiana on
Q: Been wanting to join the army but i have a level 6 felony the lowest of felonies that i pleaded to a lesser charge

How can i get a waiver to enlist

John Mario Acosta Jr.
John Mario Acosta Jr.
answered on Jul 30, 2019

Based on the information contained in your question it would be up to a recruiter to apply for the waiver to enlist, nothing really an attorney can do for you.

1 Answer | Asked in Military Law for Indiana on
Q: I’ve missed 9 drills in Indiana. they said If I don’t make them up I’m going to dishonerable... true or false?
Angelina Bradley
Angelina Bradley
answered on Dec 3, 2018

The only way to be dishonorably discharged is if it is awarded at a general court martial. Is it possible? Yes. Each missed drill is an Unauthorized Absence. They could choose to refer the charges to court-martial.

More likely is that they’ll administratively separate you, asking for...
View More

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law, Domestic Violence, Internet Law and Military Law for Indiana on
Q: My older brother's girlfriend sent me a message to kill myself. Do i report her to the police?

I made a visit to my brother and grandmother and she threatened me the first time because my nephew was their. I have rarely and even so never really talk to her. Now she has used a different account from a friend of hers, on facebook after i blocked, to message and tell me to kill myself. I dont... View More

Robert Donald Gifford II
Robert Donald Gifford II
answered on May 20, 2017

It is recommended you make a police report to document what has happened and what has continued to occur. You may want to consider getting a protective order to stop the harassment. I would inform your chain of command in your reserve unit in the event it becomes an issue, and provide a copy of... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce and Military Law for Indiana on
Q: I am currently in the USMC but my residency is Indiana. Can I file for divorce in Indiana even tho I'm stationed in NC?

We have only been married three weeks and I would like to end it now due to how controlling he is. We have nothing owned together and no children.

Robert Donald Gifford II
Robert Donald Gifford II
answered on Mar 21, 2017

If you maintained your residency under the Servicemembers Civil Relief Act, then yes. By that, I am assuming you kept that residence for the purposes of taxes (look at your LES to see where your state taxes are going), kept an Indiana DL, and Indiana plates on your car are all indicators you... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Employment Law, Immigration Law and Military Law for Indiana on
Q: Can I sign up for the National Guard or Marines if am a student/immigrant?

- Have been in the U.S for almost 9 years

- High School student (senior)

- GPA 3.0

Patrick Korody
Patrick Korody
answered on Feb 6, 2017

If you have a green card, you can enlist and obtain citizenship almost immediately. If do not have a green card, you may still be able to enlist via the MAVNI program.

1 Answer | Asked in Military Law for Indiana on
Q: Who were the lawyers in th schenkvs untied states case?!
Paul Overhauser
Paul Overhauser
answered on Dec 30, 2010

Schenk v. US is a famouns case, reported at 249 U.S. 47. However, becuase the case is very old, Decided March 3, 1919, they did not publish the attonreys names in the opinions like they do now.

You can read the opinion here:

View More

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.