Bismarck, ND asked in Landlord - Tenant for North Dakota

Q: I rented a apartment 04/01/2017 paid 800 rent 800 deposit ... Landlord didn't tell me he had a cochroach issue can I sue

I just bought new furniture and put in it ..... he said that he was aware that he had cochroach problem but didn't tell me... I had to leave my apartment for a day when they bug bombed the apartment have chemical all over my new furniture.... The landlord doesn't feel that he should have to give me all my deposit back and now I just want to sue him for not telling me he had this problem, damage to my new furniture, cost of moving, and pain and suffering

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Nicholas Nelson
Nicholas Nelson
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Wahpeton, ND
  • Licensed in North Dakota

A: A rental property for residential purposes must be habitable for human living. A tenant may seek damages for costs related to making the property habitable and the consequences thereof and offset rental costs in proportion that the inhabitability reduced the justified expectations under the lease agreement. Understand that this is general legal information, thus should not be relied upon in your specific situation. An attorney cannot provide adequate legal representation without first meeting with the client and discussing all facts related to the matter. I hope this helps!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.