Mattapoisett, MA asked in Divorce for Massachusetts

Q: Court order says my ex has 120 days to remove his things from my property. It's been 150 days, can I keep them or toss?

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers

Theresa Spearing

  • Concord, NH
  • Licensed in Massachusetts

A: If your Order specifically states that you can keep the items for yourself or toss them away if he does not remove them within 120 days, it would not do either. Your ex is in violation of the Order and you must file a Contempt against him to get him to remove his things. I understand it is frustrating that you have to take further steps to get him to obey the Order so prior to filing a Contempt you should make every attempt to communicate with him about your intentions to file. Perhaps that may motivate him to get his things out of your property and save you time and money.

Ali Shahrestani, Esq.

  • San Francisco, CA
  • Licensed in Massachusetts

A: What does the order say about that? More details are necessary to provide a professional analysis of your issue. The best first step is an Initial Consultation with an Attorney. You can read more about me, my credentials, awards, honors, testimonials, and media appearances/ publications on my law practice website, I practice law in CA, NY, MA, and DC in the following areas of law: Business & Contracts, Criminal Defense, Divorce & Child Custody, and Education Law. This answer does not constitute legal advice; make any predictions, guarantees, or warranties; or create any Attorney-Client relationship.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.