Flemington, NJ asked in Family Law and Child Custody for New Jersey

Q: Noncustodial parent has been having my daughter sleep at his short term girlfriend's house? What are my rights?

I have never met this woman, nor do I know where she lives. I did not learn of this until a mutual friend brought it up in conversation

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Michael A. Conte
Michael A. Conte
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Pennington, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: You are at least entitled to know, from him, where your child is when he is exercising parenting time. I believe that the first step in making sense out of the situation is trying to talk to him about the situation. If you cannot agree on a way that he will voluntarily keep you apprised of where your child is and the third parties who are spending time around your child, then you can address these issues in Court. You should note that if you file in Court to address custody/parenting issues, the normal first step of the process will be to send you to mediation at the courthouse, to try to resolve the issues among yourselves, with the assistance of a Court mediator.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.