Redmond, WA asked in Personal Injury for Washington

Q: Hi, My son had an accident at school during recess time and broke his left arm. On further investigation, it was found

that his legs was pulled and then pushed from monkey bars by few students who are constantly harassing him for past few months (we've few evidences to prove this). Can law help to 1. school to give protection to my son from physical/emotional abuse 2. how can school warn the students to stop doing this to my son 3. Can a request from law make school/school insurance (LWSD) or student pay all the medical bills ($ out-of-pocket) treatment costs. Please advise.Thanks!

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Vincent J. Bernabei
Vincent J. Bernabei
  • Beaverton, OR
  • Licensed in Washington

A: You should notify the school in writing that your son has been harassed by other students. If you have previously provided notice, and nothing was done to protect your son, you may have a claim for negligence against the school. The school should notify the parents of the students who caused the injury, and take disciplinary action against the students. The parents of the students who caused the injury could be liable for up to $5,000 for injuries that their child maliciously or willfully caused. This is a situation where the squeaky wheel gets the grease. You should keep complaining in writing to the school until action is taken to your satisfaction so that you son is safe.

Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing

A: I suggest you contact a member of the Washington State Assn for Justice who handles education cases--they give free consults. You need to have a several pronged approach. Having the cops talk to the kids involved may be one way.

There may be a church out there that deals with bullying issues. Unfortunately, schools can't just expel the thugs.But you can ask them to! This could have resulted in a serious injury. Take your son on trips to see colleges-=let him know there is intelligent life after high school.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.