Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In

Questions Answered by Stan Glisson

1 Answer | Asked in Traffic Tickets for Washington on

Q: In washington state does the complete address have to be correct on a speeding ticket. The county is wrong.

Stan Glisson answered on Jun 27, 2019

Address where it happened, or address where the driver lives? One may matter, the other doesn't.

How much it matters depends on the specific facts and the court / judge who will hear the case. Some errors on tickets are significant, but not all. I don't think anyone can answer your...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law for Washington on

Q: When charged with vehicular assault, will the person be held on bail or released after there hearing.

The person has no prior record

Stan Glisson answered on Jun 17, 2019

There is no exact answer. Depends on the jurisdiction, who the judge is, and the facts of the case. The most important factor about the facts of the case is probably whether it was alcohol related or not.

If the person appears out of custody, particularly if they appear with a lawyer, they...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law for Washington on

Q: Can a warrant be issued at night and not served until 4 days later and still be valid. I was told the only way a warrant

Could be issued after court hours was if the evidence to be seized would be gone by the time the court reopened to obtain the warrant

Stan Glisson answered on Jun 13, 2019

In Washington the short answer is yes, that can be done. There is no requirement for an after hours warrant that the evidence is going to be gone soon. The judge might not be happy about having her evening interrupted, but there's PC it doesn't matter what time the warrant is obtained.

Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Appeals / Appellate Law and Federal Crimes for Washington on

Q: How can I find a Lawyer to help my son, who is incarcerated, write his brief for appeal court?

My son need a Lawyer that will help him was appeal brief, so he can get an appeal. The family is will to give a fee for this service.

Stan Glisson answered on Jun 10, 2019

There are many lawyers around the state who specialize in appeals. I highly recommend Jeremy Morris, but full disclosure he is my law partner.

You should be able to find appellate lawyers with a quick search.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Traffic Tickets for Washington on

Q: I’m a bit confused on the wording of this law in WA state: RCW 46.61.685

So if the motor is not running is that okay?

Stan Glisson answered on Mar 26, 2019

Correct - that crime is only committed if the engine is running.

1 Answer | Asked in Traffic Tickets for Washington on

Q: Still haven't paid two tickets from 8 months ago can I still hire a lawyer to have them dismissed?

My son inlaws license has now been suspended because he didn't pay the tickets and as of December he owed $600 to get his license back and the fines paid. He hasn't had the money to pay. My son just had two tickets that were dismissed but of course, they weren't past due and his license wasn't... Read more »

Stan Glisson answered on Feb 21, 2019

It is definitely not too late to hire a lawyer, but what they can do at this point might be limited.

Depending on the court, it may still be possible to get them withdrawn from collections, and back on a calendar in front of a judge to fight them. This is actually fairly common, but every...
Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law and Constitutional Law for Washington on

Q: can i own a firearm if i have stayed out of trouble from 3/7/2006 with a vucsa : possession w/intent to manufacture

no violations on doc plus

I now have a job with Boeing and have been a contributing member of society as I learned from my mistakes and have a wife and kids whom I would very much like to be able to protect legally if the situation should ever occur where I need too? Lets hope it never... Read more »

Stan Glisson answered on Jan 22, 2019

With the age of that case, you may well be eligible to have the conviction vacated and separately to have your firearms rights reinstated. I would talk to a lawyer who practices in the court where you were convicted. Have them review your case and see if you are eligible.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Municipal Law for Washington on

Q: I was involved in a liquor board sting. I was not given a ticket, citation, summons, any sort of notification to appear

(Convenience store clerk) At the time of the alleged incident all I received was a business card from the accusing officer & was told I would be hearing from the district attorney if they decided to go forth with charges. 8 months later I was pulled over on a traffic stop & arrested on a warrant... Read more »

Stan Glisson answered on Jan 17, 2019

Unfortunately this is not uncommon. Investigators send their report to the local prosecutor, who may take weeks or months to file a charge. The court sends a summons to whatever address they can find for you, and that is often an out of date address; could be the one you had the last time you got a... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in DUI / DWI for Washington on

Q: So if I refuse a BAC test, I lose my license. But is that it? What are the other penalties in WA?

Stan Glisson answered on Dec 11, 2018

Complex question, I'll try to make it short.

Administratively you MAY lose your license. If you have no priors, the DOL will revoke for a year unless you successfully appeal. You may be able to drive during the revocation if you install an interlock and apply for a restricted license. The...
Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in DUI / DWI for Washington on

Q: i was stopped for dui but blew a 0- i dont drink but i do take medications which caution about driving/operating equipme

when blood is taken to determine dui results it takes 8 weeks for the results to come back from the lab. why so long and exactly what all is it tested for?

Stan Glisson answered on Nov 30, 2018

I think you'll find right now it's going to be more than 8 weeks, probably more like 3-4 months. They test for whatever the officer asks them to. If he or she has reason to suspect certain drugs, they will just ask to screen for those. If they aren't sure, they can just request a full screen, which... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in DUI / DWI for Washington on

Q: How soon will my court date be after getting pulled over for drunk driving?

Stan Glisson answered on Nov 2, 2018

In Washington the hearing is supposed to held the "next judicial day". Not all jurisdictions follow that rule though.

It is almost always within two weeks, unless the investigation involved a blood draw. The toxicology lab may take months to test a blood sample.

You should make...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in DUI / DWI for Washington on

Q: Received a voicemail saying there in a location order and a case # at my local court.

It was a local number but wanted me to call her back on a 1-855 number. She stated her name but not where she is from. She said it was an attempt to contact, and she is going to proceed to contact my supervisor to locate me on grounds. And the case # at my local court is going to be filed as public... Read more »

Stan Glisson answered on Sep 10, 2018

That number has too many digits, and the local court told you there is no record?

It's a scam. I would search Google for similar scams, that may ease your mind. You can always tell them to send you something in writing or ask where you can meet with someone in person, I'm sure they will...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in DUI / DWI for Washington on

Q: Are there ways you can get the results of a breath test excluded from a DUI trial?

Stan Glisson answered on Sep 6, 2018

There isn't any one answer for all cases, but there are certainly legal challenges that can sometimes result in suppression of the test result from evidence. You would need to go over the specific facts of your case with an experienced DUI lawyer to know if you have any legal defenses to fall back... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Rights, Constitutional Law and Criminal Law for Washington on

Q: Is it constitutional to require urine analysis upon demand prior to being found guilty?

Is it unconstitutional for a court to put stipulations upon a persons before they're found guilty by jury of their peers

Stan Glisson answered on Aug 23, 2018

Generally yes.

"the trial court erred when it determined that Wilson was unlikely to appear for future court dates and, accordingly, such a finding cannot support the trial court's imposition of weekly UAs for Wilson."

State v. Rose, 146 Wash. App. 439, 451, 191 P.3d 83, 89...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Traffic Tickets for Washington on

Q: How much is a DWLS 3? How do you go about quashing a warrant?

Stan Glisson answered on Aug 20, 2018

Different courts handle them differently. I have seen everything from $0 fine to over $900 in fines. If you can get relicensed, most courts will cut you a big break, maybe amend to a non criminal infraction or something similar to that.

You should call the court and ask their warrant quash...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law for Washington on

Q: My wife was sexually assaulted and they charged him with indecent liberties incapable of consent. Can she sue him?

She is disabled and receives ssi. She suffers from PTSD as a result of being raped by her uncle and 2 other perpetrators.

Stan Glisson answered on Aug 20, 2018

Definitely. She should talk to a lawyer about what her financial damages might be and the best way to handle a potential suit against the perpetrators.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law for Washington on

Q: What are the requirements to have my conviction appealed in Washington State?

Stan Glisson answered on Aug 14, 2018

Most important is there is generally a 30 day time limit from the date of sentencing to file notice of appeal. The court should have given you a sheet with appeal instructions, but if they didn't then call the court and ask the clerk. Or of course call the attorney who represented you in the case,... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in DUI / DWI for Washington on

Q: Do you have to answer police questions during a DUI stop?

Stan Glisson answered on Jul 30, 2018

"It is unlawful for any person while operating or in charge of any vehicle to refuse when requested by a police officer to give his or her name and address and the name and address of the owner of such vehicle, ... or to refuse upon demand of such police officer to produce his or her certificate of... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Car Accidents, Civil Litigation, Insurance Bad Faith and Insurance Defense for Washington on

Q: How does an insurance company settle claims when their insured are both parties of an MVA? How do they "sue" themselves?

My friend was involved in a three car collision recently. She was rear-ended by a vehicle which slammed her car into the car ahead of hers. The same insurance company that insures my friend is the same insurance carrier for the individual's vehicle that slammed into her from behind. The vehicle... Read more »

Stan Glisson answered on Jul 26, 2018

It's handled by different divisions within the company normally. Happens all the time, but I understand what you are saying; it looks like a clear conflict.

Then of course if her carrier pays some of her medical bills, it can require compensation from the other driver's insurer; yes, the...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in DUI / DWI for Washington on

Q: Is it possible to get an exception for a DUI license suspension to get to school?

Stan Glisson answered on Jul 16, 2018

Almost always, but will normally require an ignition interlock be installed in your car.

Start here:

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.