Paris, IL asked in Child Support, Health Care Law and Medical Malpractice for Illinois

Q: What can I do about the hospital doing surgery on my child with out my consent & the child's mother not making child sup

My step son ran away from home and the hospital got verbal consent from the child's mother even though she lost all rights to the children in court? How can the hospital legal due any none emergency surgery on the child with out consent from the child's legal guardian/parent? And what can be done about child support not being paid in years without consequence to the payee?

1 Lawyer Answer
Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing
  • Medical Malpractice Lawyer
  • Wyomissing, PA

A: Child support is a separate question. Deal with that through child support enforcement.

On the permission, if it was emergency surgery and it was the mother, a hospital isn't required to quizz her as to whether or not she has full rights.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.