Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Questions Answered by David Giffin
1 Answer | Asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Illinois on
Q: I have custody of my children and the mother bought my 13 year old vape and told her not to let me find out.

What can I do about this situation? I do not trust the mother to make the right decisions.

David Giffin
David Giffin
answered on Sep 7, 2022

First of all, I'm sorry you are dealing with this kind of problem. Not being able to trust your coparent to act in your child's best interests is upsetting, at best.

There is a lot of information we don't know about this situation. I would also encourage you to double-check...
View More

1 Answer | Asked in Real Estate Law and Family Law for Illinois on
Q: Back in 1997 I was married and my then husband purchased a house.

I had to sign "Solely for the purpose of waiving homestead rights" It states that right on the documents. He was the guarantor. Not me. We are divorced and have been for 22 years. He is now in default on that loan and it is coming up on my credit report. The mortgage company won't... View More

David Giffin
David Giffin
answered on Jun 8, 2022

Under Illinois law, married couples can be held jointly responsible for certain debts that arise during a marriage, even if only one spouse signs off on the debt. Solely waiving your homestead rights would likely not affect or limit this legal rule. Assuming you or your family lived in the home... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law for Illinois on
Q: Can a judge rule that a parent can only take their children to one church and no other church?

My girlfriend divorced her ex-husband and their settlement agrees to raise the children catholic. She only agreed to this due to being under duress of pleasing the family, as well as only wanting the children to attend CCD when with her, as this is raising them catholic, but not attend mass as she... View More

David Giffin
David Giffin
answered on May 26, 2022

I'm sorry to see you are dealing with this kind of sensitive and challenging issue. In my opinion, your girlfriend's biggest obstacle is that she entered a written settlement that the court approved. When parties make an agreed parenting plan, so long as the plan is not against a... View More

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.