Los Angeles, CA asked in Family Law and Child Custody for California

Q: What r my chances to move from CA to NM with my son if dad will fight me. My son is 11 and doesn't want to stay with him

My mom and family live in NM and are willing on helping me and my family out so I can further my education. Cost of living is also cheaper out there. My son doesn't want to stay with his dad and his dads ex is willing on writing a statement due to my sons fathers actions on him not wanting to provide for my son and also his anger outburst (punching walls) and breaking things . I want to know if I have a good chance. We've had joint custody since my son was 2. And I've also been told my son isn't spending the time he should be with his dad on his visitation time. He stays with his dads ex girlfriend sometimes. she takes him so my son doesn't have to be around his dad because of his anger outbursts.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Indy  Colbath
Indy Colbath
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Walnut Creek, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: You are seeking what is known as a "move away" order, and these can be difficult to achieve. There are several factors the court will consider, and these frequently lead to long trials if the non-moving parent opposes the move. You should meet with an attorney to discuss your case and see what your case's strengths and weaknesses are.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.