Asked in Family Law for California

Q: Can I remarry right away in another state once I receive my default judgment approval filed in California?

Filed in March 9th by publication. Default filed May 19th. It is with the clerk and should be approved in 4 to 6 weeks. Can I remarry in Vegas when I get the judgment or do I need to wait 6 months.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Indy  Colbath
Indy Colbath
  • Walnut Creek, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: You need to wait until you receive your final judgment before you can remarry, otherwise your second marriage will be invalid as bigamous, and it can cause several other legal problems down the road. The court will not prepare your judgment for you, you must do so yourself. If you have already submitted your judgment to the court for approval, then you need to wait until you get it back. The judgment is on the judicial council form, FL-180, and you will also receive a Notice of Entry of Judgment, the FL-190. After you receive your final judgment, you can get remarried in any state you choose. The state where you marry does not matter.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.