Q: What is the appropriate Court for a constitutional challenge to a NY statute?

I have legal standing and a very strong argument to challenge the constitutionality of a NY statute. My attorney says I can't challenge the law in the Supreme Court, and that my judge must apply the law as written. She says I must go to another court but doesn't know which one. I think it must be a federal district court but I'm not sure.

1 Lawyer Answer

Barry Eran Janay

  • Consumer Law Lawyer
  • Montclair, NJ
  • Licensed in New York

A: A Federal District Court located in NY, preferably closest to where the harm / injury / or violation occurred.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.