Dallas, TX asked in Family Law, Adoption and Child Custody for Texas

Q: Should I request a letter of consent from my nieces guardian in order to let her move in with me? She is 17.

My niece was under CPS care for over a year and was placed under guardianship of her half brothers aunt ( my niece and the aforementioned aunt have no relation). The aunt is in a situation where she feels she can no longer care for my niece and is planning to downsize her home by moving. I am willing to take her in but wonder if it would be wise for me to request a signed letter of consent from the legal guardian.

1 Lawyer Answer
Mr. Charles C Guidry
Mr. Charles C Guidry
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Cypress, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: First check with CPS for authorization & explain the situation is the best option.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.