Richmond, CA asked in Child Custody, Child Support and Family Law for California

Q: I want to know my legal rights and obligations regarding my estranged young teenaged son.

My then-13 y.o. son was violent with me in my own home in January, 2016. I called the police and they took him away to a psychiatric facility for evaluation. He was released two hours later to his father. Since then, my son refuses to speak to me and answered all my initial attempts to communicate with him with profanity. His father has not required that he attempt to repair things with me. I have been paying child support consistently, but I am loathe to share the cost of special privileges for him when he has not stepped forward to repair things with me or even apologize, and refuses to talk with me. What are my legal rights and obligations in this situation? I live in Northern California.

1 Lawyer Answer
Indy  Colbath
Indy Colbath
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Walnut Creek, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Unfortunately, since your son is still a minor, you are obligated to provide support to him until he reaches the age of majority or is emancipated. A child's bad behavior does not excuse the parent's obligation to support him or her. You may want to consult with an attorney who can determine whether the ordered child support is the proper amount based on your respective incomes.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.