Asked in Family Law and Immigration Law for North Dakota

Q: I am an American citizen and I want to marry an Indian guy. We been know for an year. He is here on F1 status.

Ours is a homosexual relationship and I am student how does our marriage help him get a green card.?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Roger Carl Algase
Roger Carl Algase
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • New York, NY

A: Same sex marriages are now recognized by USCIS for green card purposes. I have handled cases like this myself and have not had any problems with the immigration office. The best way to proceed would be to get married and file for the green card, just as with any other marriage relationship. All states are now required by law to perform and recognize same sex marriages.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.