Asked in Immigration Law for Texas

Q: Green Card, German wife, two minors with US passports, living in Germany

My German wife and I married 6 years ago in the States and currently live in Germany. I am a US cititzen and we have 2 small children with US passports. We would like to return to the States next year.

Can my wife apply for a Green Card and what would the proces look like?

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers

Lindsay G Gray

  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Austin, TX

A: So long as your wife is eligible, you may petition for her for a green card. It is a multi-step process that includes 1) filing a petition with United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), 2) completing an application online and sending documents to the National Visa Center, and 3) an interview at the consulate. The process takes months to complete, so if you are planning to come to the U.S. next year, now is the perfect time to start the process.

Kyndra Mulder

  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Jacksonville, FL

A: Of course your wife and apply. You must first sponsor her by filing an Alien Relative Petition. This is a very big question for a post response. Contact an experienced immigration attorney. Consultation can be by telephone Skype and other means of electronic communication.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.