Bridgeport, CT asked in Education Law, Collections and Consumer Law for Connecticut

Q: I signed a student loan for my daughter and now she does not want to pay what is my recourse. What type of lawyer do I n

What type of lawyer do I need

2 Lawyer Answers

Christopher H. McCormick

  • West Hartford, CT
  • Licensed in Connecticut

A: it depends on the type of student loan what type of relief may be available to you. Most bankruptcy attorneys are able to give you helpful advice how to approach this problem.

Max Lavit Rosenberg

  • Collections Lawyer
  • Stratford, CT
  • Licensed in Connecticut

A: I am a bankruptcy attorney. The majority of student loans are not dischargeble in bankruptcy. In a bankruptcy, the debtor by way of their (experienced) bankruptcy attorney can file an adversary proceeding (like a mini-trial within the bankruptcy court) to attempt to have their student load discharged. A student borrower must prove that not discharging the student debt would cause an "undue hardship." Now defining this term is something lawyers continue to argue about. However, in Connecticut we follow the Brunner test from a more than 30 year old U.S. Court of Appeals decision.

First, the debtor must prove that it would be impossible to maintain a minimal standard of living while repaying the loan.

Second, the financial hardship must continue for a significant portion of the repayment period


Third, the borrower has made a "good faith" effort to repay the debt.

Generally , in order to qualify under this test, the debtor has some form of major life altering disability.

You on the other hand are merely the guarantor of the student loan, so bankruptcy will not get rid of this debt for you. That is not to say there are not other methods to remove this loan from you but all other methods are equally unlikely and difficult. Please contact me for further information. 203.870.6700

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.