Eugene, OR asked in Criminal Law, Family Law, Child Custody and Municipal Law for Oregon

Q: my daughter is around someone who cannot have her own kids or be around them alone, what can i do?

My daughters dad took her and went to Alaska without my knowing or my okay, and now he has her around someone who they are living with.. this person cannot be around kids alone nor can she have custody of her own children. What can i do to get her some safe and faster then waiting for a court date. Her dad also took her to Hoonha, Alaska with the island being his whole family. Hes alaskan native.

1 Lawyer Answer
Joanne Reisman
Joanne Reisman
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Portland, OR
  • Licensed in Oregon

A: You don't say if there is already a court order awarding you custody or establishing parenting time. You also don't tell us what the dates are for all these changes. You will have to get this in front of a court somewhere to establish custody and parenting time or to enforce and order that has already been issues. If an order was already issues, you need to deal with the original court that issued the order. If nothing has been filed, you have to figure out which State, Oregon or Alaska as primary jurisdiction to hear a case involving your daughter, and then file in that State.

Your allegation about this other person is very vague, so there is simply no way to respond. You need to consult with a lawyer and discuss this matter in much more detail to figure out what you need to do. Please do not post further on Justia as you have no attorney client confidentiality here on Justia. You need to have a private consultation with a lawyer.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.