Warwick, RI asked in Divorce for Rhode Island

Q: For a Rhode Island divorce, is it possible to have a spouse served without using a Sheriff or Constable?

Can the spouse sign something waiving service?

Can we use a disinterested 3rd party?

We are still on good terms and the divorce is not contested.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Neville Bedford
Neville Bedford
  • Licensed in Rhode Island

A: You might get by with that and save yourself $45 in constable fees. If you have an attorney assisting you, they will likely have a friendly constable able to effect service in a peaceful manner to meet the court requirements. If the judge is not satisfied with your method, it may add a few more months to your process. Contact an attorney. When the parties are in complete agreement, the time (and fees) can be very reasonable and worthwhile for the peace of mind and assurance it will be done properly to completion. .

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.