Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Questions Answered by Albin Moser
1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law and Small Claims for Rhode Island on
Q: Can a lawyer serve me court papers for a credit card bill 13 years old in ri?

This collection agency has been doing this to me over and over. I'm on disability and can't afford this and I can't handle the stress.

Albin Moser
Albin Moser answered on Sep 21, 2021

Usually you cannot be sued on a credit card debt that is older than ten years. Also, recipients of Social Security Disability are usually not subject to collection. If all you have is disability benefits, then the collection agency or law firm cannot take your money. If you explain that you are on... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce and Real Estate Law for Rhode Island on
Q: I own a house with my parents. Jtwros. My husband and i live there with them. We are separating. Can he claim ownership?

We are common law married. We've lived in the house for over 10 years.

Albin Moser
Albin Moser answered on Aug 30, 2021

If you are an owner with your parents in a joint tenancy with rights of survivorship then your husband can claim a right to equitable distribution of some of the equity in the house. That means money. He can’t claim ownership.

1 Answer | Asked in Landlord - Tenant for Rhode Island on
Q: I have a legal document created on July 26. Bottom of letter attests letter was brought to PO July 24.

Would the conflicted dates result in technicality?

Albin Moser
Albin Moser answered on Aug 24, 2021

if the document is a notice and there is a period of time required for notice, then the date the notice was actually sent is going to be important to establish whether or not there was sufficient notice. If there is evidence that the notice was not sent on the date stated, then that evidence can be... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Child Custody for Rhode Island on
Q: Do I have to show for a deposition in rhode island
Albin Moser
Albin Moser answered on May 6, 2021

Probably not. If you are in Dorchester and the case is in Rhode Island then you can't be made to go from Dorchester to testify in Rhode Island. Usually there is a subpoena that is served on you. If it were served upon you in Rhode Island then that's one thing, but if it were served on you... Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Child Custody and Child Support for Rhode Island on
Q: What can i do of the father is neglectful of my child? There is no visitation order and i am in RI.

Theres no physical proof but friends and neighbors as well as myself have seen it first hand.

Albin Moser
Albin Moser answered on Mar 31, 2021

Begin by speaking with your child about anything you believe might be a harm to him or her. Follow up with the child's father. Try to avoid phrasing it as blame and encourage him to focus on what the child needs. If that does not work then consider a change to the schedule. If there is no... Read more »

View More Answers

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.