Plano, TX asked in Gov & Administrative Law, Legal Malpractice and Military Law for Texas

Q: Is it legal for a private US citizen never been employed by US gov or US corp to work for foreign military say China?

A private US citizen has developed say a better small arms technology such as rifle manufacture or bullet manufacture. Can he sell it to the chinese military for example or can he work as a consultant for the chinese military? He has never worked for any branch of the US govt or any US corporation / business and is self employed. US companies and US govt are both not interested in his technology as he has no formal US based schooling or US college degree!

1 Lawyer Answer
Juan Antonio Lozada
Juan Antonio Lozada
  • Military Law Lawyer
  • Austin, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: You will probably need an export license to be able to transfer military technology to China. Under the U.S. Export Control System, our government controls exports of sensitive equipment, software and technology as a means to promote our national security interests and foreign policy objectives. Through our export control system. Under the current export control system, three different USG agencies have the authority to issue export licenses: the Departments of State, Commerce, and the Treasury. In some cases, exporters were required to apply for multiple licenses from separate departments. Hire an experienced import/export legal professional to help you with this and simply talking to a Chinese national in the US about this technology could be considered an export.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.