Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In

Texas Gov & Administrative Law Questions & Answers

2 Answers | Asked in Civil Rights, Gov & Administrative Law, Public Benefits and Social Security for Texas on

Q: Are there protection laws for back pay or funds received from SSDI that a person took and invested ?

An individual received SSDI,(not SSI) along with back pay, after a long struggle with the Social Security Adm., in mid-spring of '18. Upon receiving the back pay, this person, who doesn't have a 401k, nest egg, family support...etc., decided to invest a percentage of the money into stocks & such,... Read more »

Roy Lee Warren answered on Apr 16, 2019

THANK you for an excellent question. I believe you and I would get along great. The situation of which you speak is one of the more ridiculous scenarios of SSI in my opinion. However I am sure it makes sense to those that wrote the law. SSI benefits are based on need so if the person that receives... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Legal Malpractice, Criminal Law and Gov & Administrative Law for Texas on

Q: Is it legal for a bondsman to refer an attorney when both know the judge personally and they know the clients money amnt

The bondsman is good friends with a lawyer he refers and the judge on a criminal case. They know how much money the client has and the court fees and bond magically goes up

Kiele Linroth Pace answered on Mar 8, 2019

Was it just a friendly referral? If the attorney compensates the bondsman for the referral it might be the crime of "Barratry and Solicitation of Professional Employment" see Penal Code 38.12. If that happened then the client can void the contract with the attorney and file a lawsuit to recover... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Federal Crimes, Gov & Administrative Law and International Law for Texas on

Q: Are there any laws or cases about blind obedience to authority figures? This is for some research for an English project

We are doing our own version of a court trial both prosecuting and defending different groups of people that were responsible for the holocaust. My group is in charge of defending the SS soldiers that carried out Hitler's orders without question. For our research and to help us present our case we... Read more »

Gary Kollin answered on Feb 25, 2019

2 Answers | Asked in Immigration Law and Gov & Administrative Law for Texas on

Q: Im italian primary school teacher man wants to marry a morocan girl who is living in morocohow i can bring her here?

Deron Edward Smallcomb answered on Feb 14, 2019

Are you talking about bringing her to the United States? Are you a citizen? If so, that very detailed process should be discussed with an experienced immigration attorney.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Gov & Administrative Law and Personal Injury for Texas on

Q: Looking for guidance and general information on filing tort claims against a federal agency for negligence.

Rahlita D. Thornton answered on Feb 10, 2019

There are time limitations for notifying government entities of your claim. Since these facts are not detailed I will offer an example of a time limit...6 months could be your cutoff date to notify them. You may be barred if you wait around for the typical 2 year statute of limitations for... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Traffic Tickets, Gov & Administrative Law, Municipal Law and Public Benefits for Texas on

Q: Can a city reimburse council members for purchase of concert tickets?

Grant St Julian III answered on Nov 14, 2018

It depends on the totality of the circumstances.

2 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law and Gov & Administrative Law for Texas on

Q: Can I get a concealed handgun permit in the state of texas if I was charged 3 years ago for a crime which was dismissed

The charge was aggravated assault with a deadly weapon and was dismissed in court. I understand you must list every time you was In jail on the dps application and for what crimes. I do not have a felony and never been arrested except for this one time. I have not expunged the charge yet from my... Read more »

Grant St Julian III answered on Jul 13, 2018

Was the case dismissed after successful completion of deferred adjudication probation, or was it dismissed without any plea being entered? Ask this question to the attorney who represented you on the matter. Good luck.

View More Answers

2 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law, Federal Crimes and Gov & Administrative Law for Texas on

Q: Describe in detail your knowledge of the various Texas and federal codes and statutes that govern crimes and criminal

This is a question on a job application.Help

Gary Kollin answered on Jul 10, 2018

And what is your question?

View More Answers

2 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law, Federal Crimes, Gov & Administrative Law and Public Benefits for Texas on

Q: Is vigilantism federally illegal or is it up to each state as to whether or not it is legal within the state?

Kiele Linroth Pace answered on May 31, 2018

What, like Batman?

You're going to need to be a tad more specific ... at least specific enough to determine whether the question involves a matter of state law, federal law, or both.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Gov & Administrative Law for Texas on

Q: Am I allowed to film public town meetings on my cell phone?

Roxann Pais Cotroneo answered on Apr 29, 2018

Under Texas Government Code Section 551.023, a person in attendance may record all or any part of an open meeting by means of a recorder, video camera or other aural or visual reproduction. The governmental body may adopt reasonable rules to maintain order in a meeting including rules relating to... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Gov & Administrative Law and Traffic Tickets for Texas on

Q: Can I legally drive a golf cart on public roads in Corpus Christi, TX. Also, Do i need insurance and registration for it

Donivan Flowers answered on Apr 5, 2018

According to the Texas Department of Motor Vehicles, Registration is not needed to operate your golf cart on a public road. State law allows for use of golf carts with a slow-moving vehicle emblem in the following situations: in master planned communities with a uniform set of restrictive covenants... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Gov & Administrative Law, Criminal Law and Business Law for Texas on

Q: Is it legal for me to sell fda approved supplements? Or do I need some type of license first?

I want to start a small buisnsss of reselling fda approved supplements but it different blends, not sure if legal

Grant St Julian III answered on Mar 11, 2018

It depends on the specific supplements and how you want to sell the (internet only, storefront etc.) Talki with a business/corporate attorney in your area.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Federal Crimes, Real Estate Law and Gov & Administrative Law for Texas on

Q: If someone takes photos of me when I walk outside of my apartment in order to try to use them against me what can I do?

They take photos without my consent sending them to the office to try to have me fined for my dog. I’m allowed to have my dog so I’m upset that I’m being photographed at my own residence without my permission with the intent to be used against me.

Kiele Linroth Pace answered on Mar 9, 2018

It is not a crime to photograph a person in this situation. The law against Invasive Visual Recordings only applies to taking photos of a person's intimate areas not subject to public view, without consent, and with intent to invade privacy.

Every element of an offense must be...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law and Gov & Administrative Law for Texas on

Q: Can I help my dad adjust his status from tps.

I'm a US citizen who would like to petition for my father who has TPS to apply for a green card. He has a voluntary deportation order from over 20 years ago that he never adhered to. I know that after a certain amount of time the voluntary order automatically becomes a standard deportation order.... Read more »

Grant St Julian III answered on Feb 23, 2018

Does your father quality for Application for Provisional Unlawful Presence Waiver? If so, he needs to file for Application for Permission to Reapply for Admission into the United States After Deportation or Removal asap.

1 Answer | Asked in Gov & Administrative Law, Criminal Law and Family Law for Texas on

Q: Can a 34 year old date a 18 year old who is a senior in high school in the state of Texas?

Kiele Linroth Pace answered on Dec 19, 2017

That depends on whether or not the 34 year-old is a teacher.

1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law and Gov & Administrative Law for Texas on

Q: If i file a petition for my wife so how can i add my son as derivate?

I am here as a green card holder since 2016 and i got married my long time girlfriend with whom i got a son of 7 yrs and the derivative to the petition i knew it by the lawyer. I didn't get the right answer ftom anyone whom i talk to so i expect a bona fide pathway from you to proceed.

Hector E. Quiroga answered on Oct 31, 2017

As a permanent resident, you can include your son on the petition you file for your wife.

1 Answer | Asked in Personal Injury and Gov & Administrative Law for Texas on

Q: My brother has aggressive angiosarcoma cancer, could the cause be from working at a rubber plant?

Can the VA take his property since he has no medical insurance? A friend said that his mom was a veteran that had VA medial services, with no medical insurance , he said that in 2005 VA started to collect properties to cover costs of treatments after a person dies.

Peter N. Munsing answered on Aug 8, 2017

Yes. Especially angiosarcoma of the liver. Contact a firm that handles occupational disease claims. On the "no medical insurance " he should apply for social security disability--they have a fast track for people with cancer diagnoses; should apply for medical assistance. If the property is in his... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Gov & Administrative Law, Legal Malpractice and Military Law for Texas on

Q: Is it legal for a private US citizen never been employed by US gov or US corp to work for foreign military say China?

A private US citizen has developed say a better small arms technology such as rifle manufacture or bullet manufacture. Can he sell it to the chinese military for example or can he work as a consultant for the chinese military? He has never worked for any branch of the US govt or any US... Read more »

Juan Antonio Lozada answered on Jun 25, 2017

You will probably need an export license to be able to transfer military technology to China. Under the U.S. Export Control System, our government controls exports of sensitive equipment, software and technology as a means to promote our national security interests and foreign policy objectives.... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Energy, Oil and Gas, Environmental and Gov & Administrative Law for Texas on

Q: Hi, I would like to find all legislations and regulations related to sludge or cuttings reinjection (for oil industry)

Both federal laws and state laws?

Gregory Andrews Cade answered on Jun 11, 2017

The information on these pages should be useful:

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law, Civil Rights, Constitutional Law and Gov & Administrative Law for Texas on


if cps is severely breaking the law as well as violating several constitutionaly protected rights by keeping my kids in foster care 45 days without any paperwork what so ever what can be done to get my kids immeadiately returned or can i call police and file charges they are bound to laws just as... Read more »

Robert W. Leonard Jr. answered on May 9, 2017

Your first step should be to hire a qualified attorney who can represent you and protect you parental rights. In the meantime, you need to comply with the CPS investigation. In addition, do not engage in criminal behavior, use illegal drugs (including legal drugs which are not prescribed to you),... Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.