Vancouver, WA asked in Traffic Tickets for Oregon

Q: My fiance got a ticket for dws/revoked. We have option to pay fine and enter plea by mail. Would that be beneficial?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Michael Hajarizadeh
Michael Hajarizadeh
  • Licensed in Oregon

A: For traffic violations, paying a fine and entering a plea by mail is beneficial in that it allows a person to avoid appearing and waiting in court, only to pay the same amount of money that they would if they went to court.

There benefits to appearing in court and entering a plea of no contest, in that some judges will reduce the fine based on a person's driving record.

In instances where a person has no violations and would like to request a reduction in the fine, but still enter a plea by mail, they could submit a letter asking for a reduction, in addition to entering their plea and paying the full amount (later being refunded money if the court approves of the reduction).

Court clerks are often helpful if you call the court where your citation instructs you to appear.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.