Q: Changes to OK §21-1713 (KNWNGLY CONC STLN PRPTY) on July.01.2017?

The laws change due to State-Question 780 in OK on July 01, 2017 and it takes the valuations in 21 o.s. 1713 (KNOWNGLY CONC STLN PROP) up to $1000.00 for classification as a Felony. Below $1.00 to $999.99 of value should be classified as a Misdemeanor correct? Also, if one was charged in the year 2016 with a Felony (Knowingly Concealing Stolen Property) on a $200.00 Laptop, would this person be grandfathered in and have their Felony charge reduced to a Misdemeanor? Or would it hold just as if the laws weren't amended? And if not, then can said individual later send their case to Appellate-Court and have it reduced to replace their felonious-charge with a misdemeanor-charge? Is it likely the DA's Office could dismiss it due to the amendments this year?

1 Lawyer Answer
Gary Johnston Dean
Gary Johnston Dean
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Pryor, OK
  • Licensed in Oklahoma

A: I agree with answer by Ms. Harroz, however I understand many District Attorney offices will reduce old charges in the discretion of the prosecutor.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.