Stillwater, OK asked in Energy, Oil and Gas for Oklahoma

Q: what forms are need to transfer mineral royalties to another family member

I have a brother who has passed and need to have his percentage of mineral rights transfer to the rest of the family

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Richard Winblad
Richard Winblad
  • Edmond, OK
  • Licensed in Oklahoma

A: That is a tough answer. You are probably headed to probate. The good news is that if any of the following apply, you may be eligible for a summary probate that can be wrapped up on about 90 days:

-the total value of his assets in Oklahoma is $200,000 or less;or

-he died more than 5 years ago; or

-he was not an Oklahoma resident when he died; or

-a probate was completed in another state.

Really more information is needed. An affidavit of heir-ship might not be sufficient.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.