West Hartford, CT asked in Divorce, Family Law, Landlord - Tenant and Real Estate Law for Connecticut

Q: Hi.Do I have to reimburse my live-in boyfriend for money he invested in my home's renovations after we separate?

We both contributed money to the renovation of my home. My boyfriend, I believe, is legally considered a tenant. He pays me rent every month and I pay for everything else. We are separating and he wants me to compensate him for the money that he contributed to the renovations. 1.) Do I have to repay him legally. 2.) Can he sue me for money. 3.) Can he legally put a lien on my home. 4.) If I agree to pay him a specified amount only when I sell the house, what are the pro's and con's. 5.) He's also asking I pay him $25,000.00 now or monthly with interest. Is that legal?

1 Lawyer Answer
Nicole M. Camporeale
Nicole M. Camporeale
  • Newtown, CT
  • Licensed in Connecticut

A: You need to consult with an attorney on this. You have too many specific questions to get a legal answer online. Attorneys will not feel comfortable providing answers that you may follow through with without getting the full facts and circumstances. This can turn into a complicated situation so my recommendation is to call an attorney to discuss. Best of luck.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.