Ponder, TX asked in Personal Injury, Wrongful Death, Consumer Law and Criminal Law for South Carolina

Q: Can I sue a hospital for gross negligence? My wife got an HAI from a local hospital, that went undetected and untreated.

She was transferred directly from that hospital, by ambulance, to Duke Medical Center where they discovered the infection almost immediately. It had already become Sepsis and she died from that infection 6 days later. I can produce the medical records from both hospitals and a letter from Duke which states that she arrived there with the infection. Second question: Can I file criminal charges against the hospital administration, or the physician and/or nurses who caused the infection? The infection was almost certainly caused by a very rough insertion of a catheter. The criminal charge question derives from the fact that I believe my wife's legal rights were abrogated. She told the nurses several times that she did not want that catheter and they would not stop. She was also given an injection of morphine against my expressed wishes.

1 Lawyer Answer
Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing

A: Unlikely on the criminal. Contact attorney Carl Jacobson in Charleston. Tell him I suggested you call. He will give you a free consult, is extremely experienced. Infection cases aren't automatic liability.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.