Woonsocket, RI asked in Divorce for Rhode Island

Q: What does answered or unanswered I a divorce final judgement paper mean ?

:What does answered or unanswered In a divorce final judgement paper mean ?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Neville Bedford
Neville Bedford
  • Licensed in Rhode Island

A: A divorce complaint may receive an answer and counterclaim from the defendant. These are usually filed within 20 days from the date of service by constable. In our Rhode Island Family courts, if the defendant appears they are considered "Answered." But, if they have not filed an answer and counterclaim, they may be defaulted and denied any relief. If they do not appear nor file any affirmative pleadings, they are considered "Unanswered." This also usually effects the number of witnesses required for the hearing. Processing your own divorce is risky as your mistakes may have long reaching and substantial consequences such that I would strongly advise anyone to engage one of our family court attorneys to assist you in navigating the process.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.