Asked in Consumer Law, Contracts, Legal Malpractice and Small Claims for Utah

Q: Can I take legal action against a pawn shop that gave me false information?

I paid $1000 for a diamond wedding ring from Zales. We were in a desperate situation and needed cash fast. We looked into Pawning the ring but they said it was only worth $100 and that they could only sell it for $300 at most. They told us we were lied to about the value from where it was purchased. It's been a year and we finally inquire about getting it back from them and they said that they would sell it to us for $1000. We feel like we were scammed by a con artist. Even if we weren't they are not taking responsibility for false information that affected our lives. There are no efforts being made to make that right. Can we take legal action?

1 Lawyer Answer
Wesley Winsor
Wesley Winsor
  • Saint George, UT
  • Licensed in Utah

A: Hi,

First off, let me say I am sorry for the situation. This can be extremely frustrating especially if there is sentimental value attached to the item.

I am assuming you sold the ring rather than pawned it (you got a loan from them using the ring as collateral). If that is the case, you lost all rights to the ring when you sold it unfortunately.

This was an enforceable and legal transaction. You got $100, they got the ring. The Courts will not intervene in this situation. The courts have intervened when someone purchased a valuable baseball card for $100 instead of $10,000 because the seller didn't realize the tag said $10,000, but this isn't one of those cases.

You knew what you purchased the ring for, so you didn't walk into the transaction blind. Unfortunately, I don't think you much of a case. Pawn shops make their money by knowing more about the value and resell value of items better than their patrons. In addition,l you can't prove that the ring won't sell for $300 as far as you know the ring hasn't sold for $1,000. Maybe they have priced it too high.

Again, I am sorry you are dealing with this, but honestly, I don't think you have a case.

I hope this helps.


Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.