Charlotte, NC asked in Contracts, Employment Law and Personal Injury for Florida

Q: Can my friend get out of a work exchange contract due to injury?

My employer created a flying trapeze teacher training program that I am in charge of. All students have the choice to pay a fee or exchange work hours. A friend of mine is part of the program and was injured (due to my boss's negligence). My boss is now trying to force My friend to go back to that training exercise when they are not fully healed. My friend has had to pay for physical therapy out of her own pocket, and could possibly do more damage to herself and is afraid for their safety. Can they legally terminate their contract with out having to pay the charges?

2 Lawyer Answers

Andy Wayne Williamson

  • Santa Rosa Beach, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: Your friend needs to consult with an employment law attorney as the terms of her contract will govern.

This is not a question I can answer without reviewing the contract. Consult with a lawyer in her area.

Alberto Naranjo Jr. agrees with this answer

Alberto Naranjo Jr.

  • Miami Lakes, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: You may have a workers compensation claim here. You need to act before you run out of time. If there is a contract, an attorney will have to review it but generally speaking, if the contract purposes is frustrated, you may be able to get out.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.