Dallas, TX asked in Immigration Law for Texas

Q: if you got a dui 5 years ago can you still apply for a visa?

my friend worked in the us for many years then got deported for a DUI 5 years ago. he's been a full time student Mexico. it was 5 years ago for the dui. can he come here legally to be a student keeping his above 3.5 gpa and then try to get citizenship? can he even get a work visa since he got the dui? he wants to be here legally and work and go to school and be a normal american.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Lindsay G Gray
Lindsay G Gray
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Austin, TX

A: It may be the deportation more than the DUI that will cause problems. He would want to look into whether he was actually deported or whether he was granted voluntary departure. While a single DUI is usually not a grounds of inadmissibility (thus barring eligibility for a visa), some consulates are now adopting policies about DUIs being evidence of "habitual drunkenness, Cuidad Juarez being one of them. I would recommend he consult with an immigration lawyer about his options. And best of luck to him!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.