Dickson, TN asked in Child Custody for Kentucky

Q: I live in TN & my son lives in KY. Child support is set up in TN.

When the judge set up child support he ordered for his last name to be changed and for reasonable visitation. But he lives in KY and no one in either counties court houses can tell me how or what I need to do to change his name and see my son. The mother changed her number and hasn't spoke to me in 6 months. I am desperate.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Mr. Joseph T Ireland
Mr. Joseph T Ireland
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Covington, KY
  • Licensed in Kentucky

A: You need to locate the mother and serve her with a petition to enforce your parenting time and to establish a set schedule. You could file the motion in the court that made the initial decision or where mom and child are living now. You should discuss the matter in detail with a local attorney to come up with a plan.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.