Chicago, IL asked in Family Law, Child Custody, Child Support and Military Law for Illinois

Q: My daughter's father is a marine, finishing training in California, I'm curious how would a child support case proceed?

Paternity was established when he signed the hospital paperwork. And he hasn't given me any money whatsoever thus far.

1 Lawyer Answer
Juan Antonio Lozada
Juan Antonio Lozada
  • Military Law Lawyer
  • Orlando, FL

A: You may not need a lawyer to ensure that your daughter's father pays child support as long as you know his unit of assignment and have a phone number to his commanding officer. Under Navy regulations (see link below) military personnel has an obligation to pay adequate support to any a dependents. You must contact his chain of command and cite the regulation below, within a week, they should call him and read him a counseling about his family obligations, during that counseling session, he will be given an order to start paying support and his chain of command should request proof of payment. If the first officer in his chain of command is not responsive, raise up to the higher HQ, if that still does not work, contact the office of the Inspector General of the Navy and let them know that the chain of command is being unresponsive.

Cheryl Powell agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.