Houston, TX asked in Immigration Law for Texas

Q: My huband wasn't deported he had to leave the states due to a family emergency. What does he need to return?

.We met almost 5 years ago he was here in America a year before we met legally with a vacation visa I believe. We own a business together, we also have a newborn baby 1 month old( Going through an adoption). My husband was here in America for almost 6 years. We have been married a little over two years. Unfortunately my husband returned home due to a family emergency about a month ago now we need help with his return home. He said he wasn't held or anything at the airport they just took his fingerprints before boarding. Can you help?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Jennifer Lynn Cervantes
Jennifer Lynn Cervantes
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Fredericksburg, VA

A: It really depends on the specific circumstances of your case. I would recommend that you contact an immigration attorney immediately.

Generally, if a person overstays their visa, they will be subject to the 3 and 10 year bars provisions of the law which prohibit applicants from returning to the United States if they depart after having previously been in the country illegally.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.