Arlington, TX asked in Immigration Law for Texas

Q: If I am applying for citizenship and I put down that my son was not living with me and that i pay child support

But now he is going to live with me and i will no longer pay child support. Will they think I was lying about my son before and think twice about giving me my citizenship?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Juan Antonio Lozada
Juan Antonio Lozada
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Orlando, FL
  • Licensed in Texas

A: I don't think that this is going to be a problem, changes like this are not uncommon, you simply need to explain the change at the interview. You can also amend your N400 application before the interview. As long as you don't owe any child support from the time your son didn't live with you, you should be okay. Also remember taxes and no criminal convictions as Good Moral character is a requisite for naturalization

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.