Bronx, NY asked in Family Law and Child Support for Ohio

Q: how long does my ex wife have to provide me a bill for 1/2 my kids medical expenses in Ohio?

It has been nearly 3 years since my divorce was final and my ex-wife has never provided me with a bill for my children and now she’s saying she’s going to get me to pay them from three years ago. Although it is not a requirement of my divorce decree I do provide them with insurance for dental and vision and they have Ohio Medicaid secondary for medical.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
R. Scott Patterson
R. Scott Patterson
  • Zanesville, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: Your divorce decree should have outlined a procedure to be followed vis a vis presentation of and payment on the split of medical expenses. Many do not. Three years is not likely to be viewed by a court as too long a period for her to present documentation showing 1)the initial bill, 2) the amount paid by private insurance, and 3) the amount to be divided between you. If you are carrying private insurance coverage for your children, you should have received or have access to the EOB's for services provided. If your portion of the uninsured medical expenses is an extraordinary amount, the court likely would not expect you to pay your share all at once, especially under the circumstances you described. Your ex should not be able to go after you for bills paid by Medicaid.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.