Bridgeport, CT asked in Sexual Harassment, Criminal Law and Family Law for Connecticut

Q: My ex husband was arrested for sexual assault on a 11 year old girl. He confessed it and now someone bailed him out.

I am very concerned because we have a 9 in 6 year old daughter and even though this was the first time he got caught but I found out that he has done this before to his niece years ago. I want to get full custody of them even though they're living with me and our Arrangements was flexible but in this situation I don't trust him and even with the little time that he had with the girls he really didn't spend that much time with them. I don't trust him alone with them I need to know if I can also take the visitation rights or does it have to be supervised until they decide what they are going to do with him when he goes back to court in August.


1 Lawyer Answer
Max Lavit Rosenberg
Max Lavit Rosenberg
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Stratford, CT
  • Licensed in Connecticut

A: I am so sorry you find yourself in this terrible situation. The best advice I can offer you is to seek experienced family law counsel. Perhaps you might get a temporary restraining order if you are in fear for yours and your children's safety, by going to the police. You might be able to get a permanent restraining order by going through court. You will definitely need to consult with an attorney regarding the custody issues. Good luck.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.