Connecticut Criminal Law Questions & Answers

Q: What kind of charges do you get for a second dui?

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and DUI / DWI for Connecticut on
Answered on Nov 23, 2018
Salvatore Bonanno's answer
You’re still charged with a dui; however, if you have a prior dui conviction, then the 2nd dui exposes you to 120-day mandatory minimum jail sentence and a felony conviction for the 2nd dui.

Hire an experienced attorney to get the best chance to avoid jail.

Q: How long does someone have to do in jail for not appearing to their halfway house when they'r supposed to?

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law for Connecticut on
Answered on Nov 19, 2018
Salvatore Bonanno's answer
It depends on what happens at court. If he's charged with escape, the consequences could be severe. If there's a good explanation as to why he didn't return on time, the matter could be resolved without any jail. Hard to tell. He needs to have an attorney representing him.

Q: Found guilty under Connecticut general statue 21a279a am I still able to get a ccw permit?

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law for Connecticut on
Answered on Jun 26, 2018
Jonathan Sills' answer
Yes. A conviction for possession of a controlled substance or possession of greater than 1/2 ounce marijuana does not automatically disqualify one from obtaining a concealed carry permit.

Q: can i go to jail?

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law for Connecticut on
Answered on Apr 3, 2018
Salvatore Bonanno's answer
You can go to jail if the police arrest you; if not, then you’d be ok. DCF may begin an investigation because of they being in the house when you had this wanted man (with a firearm) in your house.

Hire an attorney ASAP.

Take care

Q: How doees the good Samaritan law in Connecticut work for overdose

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law for Connecticut on
Answered on Mar 25, 2018
Salvatore Bonanno's answer
Not sure I understand your question. Perhaps you can give some details that put your question in context.

Q: What is the difference between grand larceny and attempted grand larceny

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law for Connecticut on
Answered on Mar 23, 2018
Lindy R. Urso's answer
There is no "grand" larceny in Connecticut. In general, however, the penalties for Larceny (of any kind) and ATTEMPTED Larceny (of any kind) are the same. There are differences in what the state would have to prove in order for you to be found guilty of Larceny vs. Attempted Larceny, but the penalties, if guilty, are the same.

Q: How to prove someone does not live with when a protective order prevents you from going home?

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Landlord - Tenant for Connecticut on
Answered on Feb 25, 2018
Salvatore Bonanno's answer
He has a few options. If he is the lawful owner of the residence, he can hire an attorney to begin an eviction process to lawfully remove the woman from his residence. If he is not the owner, then he should inform his landlord that the landlord needs her evicted, as he cannot enter the premises with her living there. He should offer to pay the landlord the cost of for the attorney handling such eviction. If the landlord refuses to act to evict her, he should hire an attorney to put the...

Q: What happens if someone gets charged with breach of peace for the first time and it's there first ever offence?

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law for Connecticut on
Answered on Feb 23, 2018
Lindy R. Urso's answer
If you get accepted, the Judge may impose conditions upon you that you must adhere to / comply with in order to ultimately have your matter dismissed. If by "flashing" you mean that you are alleged to have exposed yourself, the Court may impose some sort of "sex offender counseling" for you, which can often be extremely onerous. the Court an also impose any number of other conditions (like Community Service Hours) but he or she may not give you any.

Regardless, it sounds like you...

Q: 19 years old and in school, under investigation, should he have an attorney? My son is accused of insighting peace?!

3 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law for Connecticut on
Answered on Feb 21, 2018
Lindy R. Urso's answer
1. He should absolutely speak to a criminal defense attorney.

2. He should absolutely NOT speak with Police - or anyone else - about the allegations until he has spoken to an attorney.

Q: One of my conditons on probation are not being around minors, the judge won’t modify to see my son because I violated..

2 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law for Connecticut on
Answered on Feb 20, 2018
Lindy R. Urso's answer
The Judge is passing the buck - he or she CAN modify the conditions of your probation such that you may have contact with one specific minor, your son. Other than that, Probation has essentially the same authority as a judge to limit your freedom.

Your best bet might be to have your lawyer - or hire a new one - speak with the Prosecutor and try to convince he or she to agree; then your lawyer can file a formal Motion to Modify with a decent chance of passing muster with the Judge.

Q: Where can I find a Lawyer to help me Sue my present Lawyer for Attorney- Client sexual relations?

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Legal Malpractice for Connecticut on
Answered on Feb 8, 2018
Lindy R. Urso's answer
The first thing I suggest is that you seek an attorney from a town far away from that in which the subject attorney practice law, as local lawyers are generally a fairly tight group and do not like going after one another. Beside that, you simply need to find firms that do civil litigation and start calling around.

Q: My friend is being verbally and physically abused by her husband who is in a wheelchair can he be arrested for abuse?

2 Answers | Asked in Domestic Violence and Criminal Law for Connecticut on
Answered on Feb 8, 2018
Lindy R. Urso's answer
Yes, if the man is abusing the person physically that is an Assault, and the verbal abuse most likely equates to Disorderly Conduct, Harassment or perhaps Threatening.

Q: I have been charged with sales of a narcotic and they have video and audio

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law for Connecticut on
Answered on Jan 26, 2018
Salvatore Bonanno's answer
It’s difficult to properly respond without viewing the video myself. What you can do is ask your PD to ask the state how the state can prove it’s you that’s on the recording, and that it’s you that committed the offense. Perhaps they will realize how weak the recording is and drop or reduce the charges; alternatively, they may demonstrate to your PD other evidence beyond the recording itself that can convict you. Either way, you will know the facts, or lack of facts, against you....

Q: I was arrested and the charges were dismissed if the record is expunged can the government ever retrieve or resserect it

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law for Connecticut on
Answered on Jan 24, 2018
Salvatore Bonanno's answer
Pursuant to Connecticut General Statutes § 54-142d (the Erasure Statute), once your charges are dismissed, then are no longer available to the public. In fact, Connecticut General Statutes §54-142e allows someone to swear under oath that they were never arrested. That being said, the court can always find those records in order to confirm how a case was disposed; for example, if your charges were dismissed because you utilized a diversionary program that can only be used once, AND you...

Q: A person convicted of Burglary 1 must wear a GPS monitoring device for the length of their parole term?

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law for Connecticut on
Answered on Oct 12, 2017
Max Lavit Rosenberg's answer
That depends on the deal that your attorney worked out for you with the prosecutor. Or you can consult with the Parole and Community Services office that serviced your case.

Q: cop called through private number to meet him so i could sign paperwork post arrest, is this weird.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law for Connecticut on
Answered on Oct 12, 2017
Max Lavit Rosenberg's answer
Thats a little strange. You should get criminal defense counsel ASAP. You should also call back the police station and speak directly with them about protocol. Make sure you are prepared with the officer's name

Q: A 23 yr old was teaching his 17 year old brother to drive and hit 4 parked cars, totaling mine. No registration or

2 Answers | Asked in Car Accidents, Criminal Law and Civil Litigation for Connecticut on
Answered on Aug 14, 2017
William Head's answer
If you gave permission to them, that will be a tough sell to your insurance company. If taken without permission, you are in better shape.

Your best bet may be to contact the prosecutor, explain the issues, and request (politely) that any resolution of the criminal charges INCLUDE restitution. That means, that the value of your vehicle be paid to you.

Then, you can go to small claims court, if restitution is not part of the case settlement.

Q: What is the minimum and maximum sentence for breaking into a depository in Connecticut

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law for Connecticut on
Answered on Jul 27, 2017
Max Lavit Rosenberg's answer
Your question is very interesting but lacks details. Was the burglar armed? What were they armed with? What kind of depository. In order to determine how the crime would be classified, we would need more details. It may be well withing your best interest to consult with a knowledgeable attorney. Our number is 203.870.6700. Without knowing the classification, a basic answer would be as follows :

Class A felony 10 to 25 years, up to $ 20,000, or both

Class B felony


Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.