Q: I am in Jamestown ND How do i view police body cam and video taken?

1 Lawyer Answer
Lucas Wynne
Lucas Wynne
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • St. Louis Park, MN
  • Licensed in North Dakota

A: I will address your question and add additional information that may be helpful. However, as a criminal defense lawyer who offers services throughout North Dakota, I strongly caution you not to handle a criminal case on your own. Criminal law is among the most complex areas of law and, consequently, it easy to accidentally damage your own case. With that being said, you will need to make a Rule 16 Discovery Request. This is the type of request that attorneys make to obtain the evidence against a criminal defendant in North Dakota. Once the request is made, you may need to press for the disclosure of evidence you are entitled to that has not been provided. You would also be wise to send a preservation letter so that evidence is not spoiled. In some circumstances, you may need to visit the offices of the agency holding the information for the purpose of inspection. You will also need to be mindful in requesting evidence or information that may fall outside the scope of a standard request and specifically request the same as to see all the evidence against you. Once this evidence is discovered, you may then move to have it excluded if doing so would be justifiable. A hearing will be held on the issue and the judge will make a ruling. This is a very high level view as much more is involved and you will need to follow the rules of criminal procedure without error. Be mindful that this information is not intended as specific legal advice, I do not represent any individual until a retainer agreement is entered into, and that this information only applies if you are personally the defendant in the case.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.