Prattville, AL asked in Military Law and Personal Injury for Alabama

Q: Do I have a viable lawsuit?

I have suffered from various illnesses since infancy. My father is a veteran who served in the Gulf War. He believes my health problems are due to chemicals he was exposed to in the war. He would like to know if I have a viable lawsuit again government. If so, how would I go about proceeding?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Gregory Andrews Cade
Gregory Andrews Cade
  • Birmingham, AL
  • Licensed in Alabama

A: This is a very complex situation for which you need to contact a legal expert in cases of toxic exposure. It requires thorough evaluation, which I or another lawyer cannot provide without knowing more information about your case. Depending on a variety of factors, such as the severity of your diagnosis and the causal relationship between the hazardous agent in question and your illness, you may indeed be eligible for recovering financial compensation for secondary exposure to chemicals. However, it is not the government which will be held accountable for negligence if you have a case, but most likely the manufacturer of the products your father was exposed to in the first place.

To receive a precise opinion with regard to your situation, I advise you to set up a consultation with a lawyer who specializes in toxic exposure. The majority of attorneys who pursue such cases work on contingent contracts, which means you are not required to pay anything unless they recover compensation on your behalf.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.