Sandusky, OH asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Ohio

Q: I live in Ohio want to move to South Carolina with my children I'm in the middle of a divorce.

I am moving to South Carolina and want to take my children with me the divorce has not been final but we are in the middle of it I want to get my kids in school down there so I need to move now so that they won't have to start in the middle of a school year is this something I can do without petitioning the court.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
R. Scott Patterson
R. Scott Patterson
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Zanesville, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: I would not recommend such a course of action without obtaining the go ahead from the divorce court. This is assuming the children are of the marriage that you are terminating. If the children are from a prior relationship, and the father has visitation rights, you must file a Notice of Relocation with the court that issued the visitation order, and serve the father. That court likely will schedule a hearing to review the existing visitation orders in light of your intended move.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.