Ellicott City, MD asked in Adoption and Family Law for New Jersey

Q: Can I obtain guardianship over my finances son?

I am interested in adopting or at least becoming a legal guardian of my finances son. We currently all live together and in the event something happens to my fiancé, I don't want him to be removed from my care.

He has been living with us full time for 6 months, we shared custody prior. 6 months ago, DCPP removed him from his mothers care due to neglect and drug abuse. They had been involved in her life for some time. My fiancé has sole legal and physical custody and his ex has supervised visits, but she has only seen him twice and never calls. I recently found out she's in rehab through a mutual friend. We don't know where she lives or have a number to reach her and she makes no attempt to reach her son.

Is there any way I could adopt or get some guardianship?


Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Bari Weinberger
Bari Weinberger
  • Family Law Lawyer
  • Parsippany, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: In order for you to adopt, the child's biological mother would have to have her parental rights terminated either voluntarily or through a DCPP action against her. Talk to a family law attorney in your area, many offer free consultations. From your questions, it appears as though you may have a case to be found the child's psychological parent which would entitle you to certain rights, such as legal custody of the child. But, whatever you file in court has to be provided to the biological mother and she has the right to argue against it.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.