Carrollton, GA asked in Immigration Law for Georgia

Q: Does my husband need to be living in the same state as me in order to seek an attorney for US residency?

I had already applied for his greencard, but the case is frozen at the moment because we don't know what to do since he recently came here illegally. Does he have to be here with me in Georgia and see an attorney to help us with his green card since I applied from here in Georgia??

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Matthew J Hartnett
Matthew J Hartnett
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Collingswood, NJ

A: Unfortunately, more information is needed. I would at least consult with an attorney. If you don't live together, and you both live in the USA, you should be prepared to explain why you aren't living together.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.