Teaneck, NJ asked in Family Law and Animal / Dog Law for New Jersey

Q: Is there anyway to get my dog back from my ex-neighbor who legally took my dog during a move? We've had him for 3+ yrs.

I have had this dog for over 3yrs, my sister even has papers stating he is ours but during a moving situation (house to house) our ex-neighbor (whom is on drugs.) Legally took our dog. What can we do?!

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Michael A. Conte
Michael A. Conte
  • Pennington, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: I would try first asking him for the dog. If that doesn't work, bring your papers to the police and tell them what happened. They may assist you retrieve your dog and/or at least investigate further.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.