Richlands, VA asked in Real Estate Law and Identity Theft for Virginia

Q: My brother died in 2015,no spouse,children,and me,2 brothers are his closest kin.

A friend of his appointed himself to be the administrator(small estate),but he has personal interests,doesn't keep us up on taxes,liens,even gets my brother's mail,lives in the mobile home my brother lived in.We want to sell all of the property,about 6 acres in this county,another 5 or more in Russell County,Va.I found something online,2 places,that there could be identity theft,somebody using my brother's name,for what reason I don't know,but suspicion trying to get loans against the property.I sent copies of his death certificate to all 3 credit bureaus after he died in 2015.I would like to know,if I,the oldest heir,could proceed with selling the real estate,but sharing with the other heirs?

1 Lawyer Answer
John Andrew Maghamez
John Andrew Maghamez
  • Richmond, VA
  • Licensed in Virginia

A: This is definitely one where you will want to speak with an attorney. As an owner of the real estate, you have several alternatives.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.